1. Enroll in a college preparatory curriculum
2. When possible, write papers, do projects, etc. about college
3. Enter essay, speech contests, science fairs/contests for scholarships and awards
4. Get involved in extracurricular activities
5. Volunteer in your community
6. Explore careers and job opportunities in those careers
7. Study hard and do well in school – From now on your grades will count toward college and will show up on your permanent record
8. Start to attend events on college campuses (plays, concerts, sporting events, activities related to your major, etc.)
9. Get to know your high school counselor (the College or Senior Counselor) and let them get to know you and your goals, career aspirations, schools you are considering, etc. Your parents may want to go along too.
10. Talk to your friends about what they plan to do after college. Talk to your parents and your friends’ parents about what they do.